Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How to Handle Overpayment Claims?

When it comes to disability benefits, there are instances when you will receive an overpayment claim from the Social Security Administration (SSA). When you do, it is recommended that you deal with it because ignoring it might lead to problems with claiming your benefits.

An overpayment takes place due to discrepancies in the computation of your benefits. You might already be receiving income from your disability but then you seek employment to augment your income. The good news is that there is a way that you can correct the overpayment.

* First, if you think that the overpayment was not your fault, then there is a remedy for that. You can contest the claim and ask for reconsideration. This form is called the “Waiver of Overpayment” and it is available at the SSA. In the form, you will be asked to explain why you think it is not your responsibility to settle the overpayment.

* If your request for reconsideration has been denied, the legal remedy for that is to file an appeal. During this stage, you will need to be represented by an SSA disability lawyer. In the appeal process, your claim will be handled by an Administrative Law Judge.

If nothing works out in your favor, then you have no choice but to settle the overpaid claim. You can work out a favorable payment scheme with the SSA. Usually, the money involves small amounts.

In all of these, getting the services of an SSA lawyer to handle your case is the best thing to do. They know what to do in situations like yours.